Big 300s

bp21

Seaman Apprentice
Friend of mine is wondering if there is really any danger in strapping the Merc 300 on the back of his soon-to-be new bass boat. Personally, I wouldn't have one due to just the sheer intimidation factor of just standing next to one. Just wondering what the experts like you guys had to say on the subject. Is there really any need for one other than a couple extra looks and galks at the boat ramp?

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Big 300s

There's a very real danger if the boat is not rated for 300 HP.<br /><br />Lotta weight, handling problems, and the potential fine if he gets caught with a motor rated more Hp than the boat is certified for.

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Friend's new boat is 22 footer...what kind of performance can he expect to get from an engine that large other than a new hairdoo? Is it really worth the money?

omctech

Seaman

Ask your friend one question. How does he plan to catch fish at 80+ mph? A 225 is much more fuel efficient and will make the boat not only handle better, but much safer in general.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some people just like to go fast. If the boat is rated for 250hp (if rated at all) you will be adding 17% more horsepower over the rated hp.<br /><br />So what is safer? A 22' performance boat with 17% greater hp?<br /><br />Or, a 12' aluminum boat with a rating of 10hp, but with a 15hp installed?<br /><br />Thank goodness they have never rated maximun horsepower for car engines! Think of all the fines the cops could have handed out. <br /><br />All the teenagers, from at least the 1950's that would not be ALLOWED to hop up thier motors.<br /><br />The NHRA would probably not exist! Let common sense rein! I hope your friend enjoys the extra horsepower as much as I do.<br /><br />I would, however, consult with the manufacturer of the boat first, as Seadawg said, the extra wieght can cause balance problems, and since they have designed this boat, they should know how much wieght and hp the boat can carry, my guess is that he should be ok.

G DANE

Commander

You really need to be carefull here.<br /><br />Two young guys lost their lives around here some years ago. They put a 90HP motor on a boat ment to carry 45 HP. I midhigh waves, going full speed, the boat developed a 3 feet crack and sunk in minutes. It is certinly not only a question of the strength in transom, but the entire boat is constructed for weight, power and speed, from the right rating of HP. Be carefull.