Stuck carb. float on 25 hp. Merc.

tilbury

Recruit
Boat stalled and wouldn't start up again. Got it running again by taking apart carb. and cleaning it. Same thing happened again very soon after. Think float is sticking. No hole in float (no gas inside float) Does anybody know an easy fix?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Stuck carb. float on 25 hp. Merc.

I would suspect no fuel is getting to the carb due to the fuel pump not pumping the fuel into the bowl. The carb on your motor is intigrated into the carb assembly, I think.<br />If so, it would be hard to determine this for sure. (Usually, we take the fuel line from the pump to the carb off, and turn the engine over...If we get fuel,we go to the carb.No fuel, it's the pump or fuel line.)<br /><br />But anyhoo, pump the primer bulb to see if fuel exits the hole on top of the carb. If it does,the float IS sticking. If it doesn not, yet the primer bulb gets stiff, the float is not sticking. They usually stick down,which would not shut off the fuel.<br />First thing ( would check is all iinline filters, fuel pickup tube in the tank,then the fuel pump.<br /><br />to do this, remove the carb/pump assmbly, and buy a rebuild kit for it. The fuel pump is easy to repair with the kit. The best carb cleaner is the emersion type (comes in a gallon paint can),but this stuff eats anything that isn't metal. So the expensive (STP,Vavoline,ect) spray cleaners will also remove varnish. But they'll do it safer, and work more gradually.<br />Good luck ,and let me know what you find.