Yamaha or Merc 115 - 80 HP jet drive?

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
At Tuffboat.com I have seen Hondas and Yamaha 50 with jet drive. I guess there is some kind of conversion kit to replace the lower unit. <br />Is it?<br />Any idea how much $$$?<br />Do the dealers have them or is i an american manufacturer?<br /> <br />For the same performance (speed) you need about 30 percent more horsepower with jet drive, right? <br /><br />Is there anyone here who have done this conversion? And, if so, how did it effect performance, fuel consumption...?<br /><br />Any reply is appreciated. Thanks. <br /><br />/Bear

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha or Merc 115 - 80 HP jet drive?

Jet conversions are common here in the northwest U.S.,and you can expect to lose about a third of your prop rated h.p. when you make the conversion.Specialty manufacturing makes the kits for all brands that offer factory jets ,and also offer kits for most brands 25 h.p. and up.Conversion is not cheap. Kits start at around 1000 for a 25 horse.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you Hondon for the confirmation. If I want to go one step ahead, what do I do?<br /><br />Is Specialty manufacturing a company name? Can I order from there or can I only order from a outboard dealer?<br /><br />/Bear

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Bear...Hondon is right on...if you are serious about finding a jet drive I know of a local company who deals in new and used outboard jet pumps. Got a good deal on the one myself. Let me know and I can hook you up. just a thought

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bear, there are a nimber of lower units out there, alas I cannot suggest a good brand in the USA as the ones available here are from elsewhere. There are excellent units however and I know a couple of folk very pleased with their gear for use on the Kaipara Harbour here in NZ. This is a huge shallow harbour with many very shallow tidal esturies, all fishable but not all accessible with a standard outboard.<br />Ross

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you guys!<br />Jet drives for outboards are a rare sight in Sweden. I'm curious too, but these questions is for a buddy who is loosing sleep over it. (I sure hope he will get one.) <br /><br />Thought101, thank you for the offer. I'll have to get back to you about that.<br /><br />/Bear