Mercruiser 140 Carburetor Problem

NormR

Recruit
I have a 1970's Mercruiser 4 Cylinder Chev. II Engine with a Rochester 2 Barrel Carburetor on it.<br />I have had the carburetor worked on several times and even replaced it with a 2nd one that was supposedly good. The motor starts, but idles poorly and runs rough like it is missing.<br />The plugs, distributor, cap, points, condensor, wires, etc. are all new and check out OK.<br />There is a spring loaded ball in the carburetor that is either in the low speed or high speed section of the carburetor that freezes in place according to the mechanics that have worked on it and visually shown to me. The concensus of all that have worked on the carburetor is that this particular design is very poor.<br />Is there another carburetor that matches up and will work well with this particular motor that is free of this type problem?<br />I know there are many auto carbs around that would, but I have been told that marine applications require a special carb.<br />Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I would like to finally get this motor running and the boat in the water to enjoy.<br />Thanks very much!<br />My email is: nkr@globaldialog.com

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 140 Carburetor Problem

Whether this is a Rochester 2 bbl or the Merc Carb made by Nippon, they all have the same symptoms/problems. These have been ID in various Merc Service Bulletins. <br /><br />I do not know who you mechanic is or who rebuilt/replaced your carbs but this is just a waste of money to you, the end user, without addressing these issues. It seems like all the mechanics/repair personel out thier always replace something that they cannot fix or because it is more cost effective for them to do so. I just have a problem with "Parts Replacers"... if it is not broken, cracked, smashed or completely damaged... it can be fixed!!!<br /><br />Please post your email address here for me to forward in a .PDF file for you to carry to your mechanic.<br /><br /> :mad: <br /><br />Hit a sore spot... remember folks you have more information available to you today via the internet than a local library in your hometown. This information revolution is the best thing that has happened to us... when was the last time your were able to take first hand experiences & share with the world or the guy down the street having the same issues that you had!!!<br /><br /> :D ... smiling now, got that out of my system... look forward to your reply.<br /><br /> :cool:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 140 Carburetor Problem

I'm with Fone man!!! the consensus here is the ability of your so called "mechanics" is very poor.......there are millions of those carbs out running around right now...so much for a lousy design.....