Mercury Sportjet 120, No Spark, Help

dsmalley

Cadet
Ok, I picked up a 95' Jazz at an auction. The engine, a Mercury Sportjet 120 has no spark. I've read that these are Force 120 power heads fitted to the Jet application. I have seen others on this site with no fire problems and the Stator usually comes up. How do I test my stator. I replaced one on my 85' jet ski but that was a lifetime ago and now I couldn't ever pick one out. Any help or manual pages on engine or boat would be great. Thanks

dsmalley

Cadet
Re: Mercury Sportjet 120, No Spark, Help

Thanks for the help, I will get busy on this problem after work. I will update status this evening. By the way it is a 95' and looks the same as the pic you sent except the computer module has on the side instead of top.

ahsah

Cadet

I just traded off my 95 SeaRay with a sport-jet 120. Had it for three years and had your problem and it was the electronics/computer module. <br /><br />The things are notorious for hard to start problems, I wore a battery out the first time I took it to the lake. When I got back with the new battery a guy was wiping down the same type of boat. And when it still wouldn't start he came over with something in his hand, and said "you haven't had this boat very long have you." I said I just got it, he had a can of Gunk Carberator Cleaner, there are two little access ports, one in front of each carb. He popped off the upper one and gave it a 1-2 second spray right down one of the carbs. It started right up and I always used it after that if it sat even over night and never had problems again. <br /><br />When the stator went out a year or so later that took care of the problem for ever. I heard there is a stator upgrade for them and I must have received it<br />. Because I barely even hear the starter and the thing is running. <br /><br />Good luck.<br />Hey lonewolf send me a copy to my email, please<br /><br />Cap'n Steve

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ds... THERE IS A REV LIMITER ON THESE UNITS THAT IS PRONE TO FAILURE.....this is a small 2"x2" black plastic box with a number of wires comimg out of it...unplug all the wires from it an see if you have spark....just dont run without it...

dsmalley

Cadet

AHSAH & ODDD1 - I am quickly becoming educated on these engines. The battery failure is a design problem with the stator and 12 months after the engine came out Mercury said sorry we screwed up but you will need to replace the stator at your own cost. Check for the "red stator" service release (it is a kit that comes with a new rev limiter). As for mine, I now have fire with the kill wire unhooked but am unsure what to do next. Does my key still kill it, I am out of the water so I can't take the chance of it running for any length of time. What needs replaced? It the little red button beside my ignition switch the kill button? Will I ever find an owners manual for this thing. These questions and more on the next Soap.

ahsah

Cadet

On my searay the kill swich is the starter switch- it rocks both ways. The little red button next to the key switch is where you attach the lanyard that one end fastens to you and the other end has a plastic piece that holds the "red button in," like on a sea doo so if the driver gets thrown overboard it kills the motor. The boat won't run without it. So yes this is a kill switcch but it must be in to start and run the motor.<br /><br />At least this is the way things are on the SeaRay. You cab throttle up the motor to start it by pulling out on the metal piece that looks like a button right behind the throttle lever. When you do this the motor will start with the throttle about half way forward. <br /><br />My dealer said lots of things when I first bought the thing, pull the button and pump the throttle a couple times and leave it in the half forward position when you try to start it . . . I don't think they could start it either. <br /><br />Nothing not anything worked other than the carb cleaner down the throat before you hit the starter.<br /><br />I'm out til Monday hauling the searay off to the same dealer - I traded it in for a 98 Larson 186SEi. They gave me what I paid for it minus $400, not bad for three years use, oh and about 800 in repairs.<br /><br />Good luck<br />Cap'n Steve

A.hillbilly

Recruit

Well, it looks like I finally found the problem with my '94 Jazz. Could someone please let me know where I can order the 'red stator' kit? <br /><br />lonewolf, could you send me a copy to my e-mail? <br /><br />Great forum. Lots of help.

dsmalley

Cadet

A. Hillbilly, Wichita Marine (316)524-0101 in Wichita, KS is a great shop and the kid I talked to was very helpful and seemed to know all about the "Red Stator" fix. Not the same experience I had with the first two shops. The kit price is not cheap but he set me up with Mercury's Tech pages on how to replace. I will scan and email along with the pages lonewolf sent me, but your address is not in your profile. I would really like a copy of your owners manual as I don't have one for my 95' and they should be very close. Let me know on your email address.

A.hillbilly

Recruit

Thanks DS. I just registered and thought I included my e-mail. Anyway, here it is. <br /><br />griffing@adeq.state.ar.us<br /><br />As for the owner's manual, bad news. I bought this last year and it wasn't included. I talked to a mechanic at Jimmy Houston Marine and he told me the Chilton's repair manual for Mercury/Mariner Outboards, '90-'94, 40-125 Hp, (#036-5) would be the basic equivelant as regards the motor. I just picked up a copy yesterday and would be glad to fax or e-mail you the appropriate pages if your interested.

cybercolt

Cadet

Good Luck! I went throug a Stator and a Switch Box on a Sport Jet 90. Now I have some completely different porblems with the engine! Any one selling a good 120 or 175?

nmelancon

Recruit

I have a sugar sand jet boat I purchased with the mercury 95 hp. engine. The flywheel is dragging on what apperar to be some magnetic material. Having problems pulling flywheel, will I have to replace it?

SB

Seaman Apprentice

dsmally, or anyone else that can help.<br /><br />I have a 94 Bayliner Reflexx with a 90 sport jet. It had the red stator upgrade before I bought it. I am now having problems with the switch box and when I checked the wiring it doesn't agree with the wiring diagram in my manual. The red wire from the switch box doesn't go anywhere and the blue wire goes to another component. This has two wires (green/white and white/green) that go into the stator. Is this part of the upgrade?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Scott