How bad are Force motors....really?

jam39vw995

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine is looking for an outboard for his 19' Silverline BR. 115-150hp<br />It needs a long shaft (23").<br />I've seen a lot of Force motors for sale here for reasonable cost but he said he wouldn't buy one because they are junk.<br />Is this so? What sort of problems occur to give them such a bad name? I've seen motors and engines get a bad rap unfairly because the owners didn't follow the maintenance procedure. Is this the case with Force.<br />Any insite into this brand of OB would be appreciated.<br />thanks

susan61

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How bad are Force motors....really?

The Force engines are all old technology. A design that worked well thru the 20th century. However they will not meet the 2006 emissions standards so Mercury droped the line in 1999. The parts will become more difficult to find over time. My 40HP Force runs like a dream and has never given any problems. Noisy and smokey but starts and runs instantly. All that said, of course I would rather have a new four stroke with EFI.Like any engine a Force will perform according to how well it is maintained.

D

DJ

jam,<br /><br />You are absolutely correct regarding rhe maintenance issue. Many Force engines were sold as part of starter boat packages to people that had no idea what maintenance was needed. Many were neglected. The Force line tended to need a little bit more maintenance because of the older technology. Thus, they had a couple of strikes against them.<br /><br />True, the technology was a little dated, but it still worked. The later engines shared many components with Mercury engines. <br /><br />As you know, the engine line is gone. Some say parts are getting a bit scarce.<br /><br />Would I buy one today? No. I do not want to have to chase parts and/or service facilities. Plus, the lack of service/parts support is not going to get any better.<br /><br />I will also say that the 120 hp never seemed to perform like a 120. Many 115's would outperform it. The 150 was an even more marginal performer, for its rating.

sloopy

Commander

I knew a guy who brought a Force, When he came home from the marina; his wife left him, his car was repossessed, and he lost all of his hair!<br /><br />One good thing about a force is that ANYONE can repair one, and it is a great engine to learn on...

sloopy

Commander

I knew a guy who brought a Force, When he came home from the marina; his wife left him, his car was repossessed, and he lost all of his hair!<br /><br />One good thing about a force is that ANYONE can repair one, and it is a great engine to learn on...

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

jam<br />Force engines had were much slower than ANY other brand per advertised HP, they were not economical, they were not reliable, they were cheap. The dealer I worked at sold them because they were cheap and we could offer packages to lure new boaters in. Experience boaters would seldom buy Force at any price. I tried to talk our owner out of handling the line but he was an old Chrysler dealer and loves to sell them. I hated dealing with customers when they would come back after the 1st weekend with a hole blowed in a piston and we would have to order a new powerhead. This happened frequently. Even proper maintenance is not applicable with these engines they still break. These motors are NO GOOD.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 1998 Force Mercury 90HP I happen own starts easily, idles nicely, has plenty of power, will push my 16 footer at 45mph WOT, it is uncomplicated, easy to maintain, and getting parts has never been a problem. I consider it a GOOD motor. (SLOOPY -- I suspect there is a story behind you hallmark signature.)

93bronco

Ensign

there are lemons for all outboards.<br />i have 1 1988 120/140 johnson that has been nickle & diming to death - due to being put together from different motors (didnt know till after it broke the 1st time)<br />-<br />i think its a 50/50 shot.<br />at times i wished i would have gotten the 120force i was looking at first - atleast i could blame the company for a bad product.<br />-<br /><br />if the motor is a good running one there is no reason to shy away from it.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

F ***ed <br />O ver,<br />R emanufactured<br />C hrysler<br />E ngine !

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

QL You and others have used the quaint little ditty in reference to Force motors. How have you reached that damning conclusion?

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the FACT that it IS a remanufactured Chrysler Engine.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the case of my 1998, most of the parts are directly interchangeable with Mercury components, so it is more of a Mercury motor than a Chrysler. So quality -- in my case very good -- seems partially dependent on vintage. I still get 150 psi of compression on all three cylinders, for example.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

That would be good then since Chrysler Motors are amongst the most reliable motors ever made... :)