Merc 50hp 1979 problem and usage question

Cyrez

Cadet
This post has become longer than i intended, sorry for that.<br /><br />Hi folks,<br />I have another prob with my Mercury 50hp (wich by the way never have run good since i've bought it)<br /><br />When i start it, it seems to run fine, but it will not get up to speed.<br />I've cleaned the carbs, changed the power leads and it tried changing the mixture screw setting but none of this worked.<br /><br />When i take a look at my bougie's (is this a understandable word in english?, i meen the things you screw into the cylinders on the top)some of them seem like they are firing good, they are a little bit brown, but on the middle two cylinders they stay nice and clean except from some gasoline. (they are wet)<br />I haven't changed the bougie's yet but do you guys think these could give problems?<br />Can i also place normal bougie's in instead of the thunderbold version?<br /><br />And a usage question:<br />Out of the engine there are coming to wires, one with 3 cores in it and 1 smaller/thinner with 2 cores.<br />Can anyone tell me what these cable's are for?<br />My mate asks me everytime he steps in the boat but whe both did not take the effort to find out.<br /><br />Its rather much interesting to drink a bear and tell good stories in the boat while fishing than to find out what this cable's are for;->=><br /><br />Oh yeah, where should i connect my lights on? directly on the battery or on one of those wires?<br /><br />Hope to hear from you guys.<br /><br />Thanks for undiveded attention.<br />Marc.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Merc 50hp 1979 problem and usage question

By 'bougies' I assume you mean the spark plugs. Wet plugs don't sound like firing plugs. While the engine is running, try pulling plug wires one at a time. Each time you pull a plug wire, you should hear a difference in the engine sound. If not, that cylinder isn't firing. A compression test is also an excellent diagnotsic for any motor. As for lights, I'd run them to the battery (with proper tinned wire, connectors, fuse)