Outdrive Stolen at Marine Center

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I decided to drop my insurance since my 18' 4.3 liter boat was for sale at marine center for 2 months...someone stole my entire Mercruiser outdrive which was brand new. After 2 months, he said that they did not get around to pulling it into the fenced in area.<br /><br />since it was on consignment, is Marine Center responsible? <br /><br />Po Po are coming today to investigate but i am sure they covered their tracks well. I am ready to torch that boat!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outdrive Stolen at Marine Center

I'm a former insurance claim adjuster. This is a legal question...you need to review the wording on your consignment contract, the wording of the the dealer's insurance policy for theft situations while the boat is in their care, custody, and control, and Maryland state code for agents handling property in their care, custody and control. As a general rule, insurance follows the vehicle...the fact that you cancelled insurance on the vehicle means that you accepted the risk of not having it insured while parked at the marina. But there may be Maryland legislation that says the marina is responsible while it's under their care. The police won't have any answers for you regarding this legal aspect, but by all means you want to file a formal police report to document the theft. A quick meeting with an attorney may be your best alternative.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you give the police any applicable serial numbers and such from the the outdrive. They may find it while investigating other crimes. Someone may also try to register the boat with the stolen outdrive in a location where serial numbers are required from the outdrive. In such cases you can get the stolen property back.

Jilly - 5

Seaman

That's so unfortunate. But several hard rules:<br /><br />1. Always put a special locking lug on your outdrive, just as you would on each expensive wheel of your automobile, and ,<br />2. Never drop insurance on anything you still own, regardless who you think has a responsibility to safeguard the item.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If your consignment agreement absolved tha dealer of any liability - shame on you. However most dealers will have insurance to cover this type of theft.