mounitng a motor and prop questions

ctbs

Cadet
Hello all,<br />I am replacing a 1988 force 15 with a 1976 johnson 25 on my 14' semi v aluminum boat. <br />Mt transom is 15 3/4", which worked out fine for the force as the cavitation plate was even with the bottom of the boat. Not so with the johnson. Even though it's a regular shaft (18" from the where the mounting braket hits the transom to the cavitation plate) the cavitation plate will be about 2 1/4" below the bottom of the boat. I have read conflicting reports about whether this will be a problem or not an would appreciate any advice. My prop info is this: "Michigan" is stamped on the prop, along with the numbers 510 and 16 (or is that 19 upside down?. not sure what all of that means. It is a three blade aluminum.<br />Thanks for your time and consideration.<br />Chris

D

DJ

Re: mounitng a motor and prop questions

ctbs<br /><br />The cavitation plate needs to be even with, or slightly above, the bottom of the boat. <br /><br />You may have to use a block under the clamp bracket to acheive that.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

18" is not a standard leg? How is the length compared to the old motor?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Not all legs are exactly 15", 20", Ect. I believe that if it is 18", it is considered a short shaft motor anyway. Just follow DJ's advice and raise it up. No harm done.. More than likely the number is a 16. Still seems high pitched for your motor, though. Something in the area of 9" x 10" pitch would be closer..<br /><br />Props:<br /><br /> web page