Removal of boat lettering

Rmalloy22

Cadet
I was just wondering how you fella's removed painted on boat lettering from a fiberglass. I thought I'd ask before trying any chemicals. <br /> <br />I think I'll replace with vinyl lettering but first this paint.. not sure what it is.<br /><br />RM

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removal of boat lettering

Try lacquer thinner, if that doesn't work, you may have to compound it off.

Rmalloy22

Cadet

I will try that. I'm a little cautious on compounding it off but that would be a last resort. Has anyone read about the boat lettering at Streetglo? I like the way it looks.<br /><br />Unrelated, any idea how to pull back up the shine in a severely sun damaged gel coat? I know waxing will do it, but is there a way to actually restore it? This isn't my boat, it's a jet ski I picked up.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind that if you are using boat lettering for the registration that it has to be CG approved. Also, Streetglo is kind of cool if it is dark outside. However, all of the jet skis I have seen don't have proper lights for night use.

Rmalloy22

Cadet

Hey bayman,<br /><br />I was talking about the reflective boat lettering for my boat,not the skis... Sorry I wasn't clear on that. I am also posting about the Ski Ihave in another form, but this lettering is for my boat. I guess the only approval for the CG would be 4" registration letters I assume. I hadn't thought about maybe doing them in reflective too. I like this effect, I wonder if it's real or touched up... <br /> <br /> http://www.streetglo.net/boat-names.html <br /><br />I got the painted lettering off. I'm going to bite the bullet and order this streetglo stuff. I hope it looks as good as their advertising but Im not holding my breath. Anyhow, it's not really any more expensive than regular boat name letters so I guess I don't have much to loose. I live on the Intercoastal waterway and this place can be dangerous at night in some of the places I like to anchor. <br /><br />RM