Morse control falling apart

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Johnson 90 with a Morse shift/throttle control. The shifter has felt a little sloppy for a while now (lots of movement between forward and reverse, tough to pull out into neutral). Last night, I pulled the lever out to start and it felt like the whole thing was going to come apart... then it wouldn't go back into gear. With some jiggling, it finally engaged into gear, but I've got the feeling it needs some major help.<br /><br />Can these controls be taken apart and serviced? I asked the last time I had the boat in the shop and they told me that they couldn't do anything but replace it.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Morse control falling apart

Moving this to General Outboard. Morse controls are somewhat generic. Maybe someone in General Outboard Questions can help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mooseo....replace it. You can get a great little single lever remote from Bomby for a little over $100. Or check out iboats store. The old Morse isn't worth fooling with.

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the other hand I have had my control apart many times and often it is just something little like a snap ring. I like the looks on my old whaler and a new morse control is a lot of money.<br />Take it apart and look. Remove the four mounting screws and lift part way out and remove the two screws holding the side plate in place. You can see all the parts with the side plate apart.<br />Good luck

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br />Thanks Sherman and OBJ... I think you're both right. I'll take it apart just to find out how, and if it is something simple, great, otherwise I'll start looking for a replacement. I do like the look of the Morse...

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have, or know where I can get, a diagram/parts list for Morse MT-2 control?<br /><br />I opened it up and it looks like Sherman is right; there appears to be a missing snap-ring on the lever side of the control... there is a groove for it, maybe 1.5" in diameter. There is a washer riding up against the lever that looks like it should be farther back. <br /><br />Also, how often should I lube the inside of this control?