NO SPARK

b taylor

Recruit
I HAVE A 1992 MERCURY 115 HP 4 CYLINDER.I HAVE A PROBLEM ON RESTART.IT'LL START WHEN IT IS COLD, IT WILL RUN FOR ABOUT 30 MINTUES OR SO THEN STALL OUT.IT WILL NOT START AGAIN UNTIL IT COOLS OFF.I HAVE CHECK FOR SPARK WHEN IT STALLS OUT AND HAVE FOUND NONE.WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MITE BE?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: NO SPARK

It could be overheating. I'm not sure about your particular engine, but some have a over<br />temp cut-off. Check to see if your cooling system is operating,and briefly feel the block close to the head when it quits (be carefull). If it is too hot to touch for 3 seconds,it is overheating.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Taylor, a bettin man [me] would say you have a stator failing.......when you heat soak these things the windings open up and you lose spark....seen it happen many times. a output voltage check when hot would verify this but is not an easy thing........

b taylor

Recruit

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS 12FOOTER & ODDD1.<br />I'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THIS WEEKEND TO CHECK THEM OUT. I HAVE MY BOAT AT MY WEEKEND GETAWAY. 12FOOTER: EVEN THOUGH I KNOW MY WATER PUMP IS WORKING FINE,I HAVE GOOD WATER FLOW & PRESSURE PISSING OUT THE BACK OF THE MOTOR, COULD I STILL HAVE AN OVER HEATING PROBLEM???<br />ODDD1: SORRY TO SAY I DON'T HAVE ANY TESTERS TO CHECK THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT..<br /><br />THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO....