Incorrect Prop Rotation on Twin Engines

Nick Tomasso

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1976 31' Concorde flybridge cruiser with twin 260 Mercruiser inboards. It weighs approximately 18,000 lbs. <br /><br />It was repowered in the late 80's and I believe the engines were installed incorrectly. The starboard engine is LH rotation and turns the prop counter-clockwise. The port engine is RH rotation and turns the prop clockwise. <br />This is exactly opposite from all of the other twin engine boats I have seen.<br /> <br />I have trouble coming up on plane. I can level off by using the trim tabs, but as soon as I put them back up, the boat comes off plane with the bow out of the water. At 3400 RPM, fuel comsumption is about 40 GPH and max speed is 16 MPH. <br /><br />Are my planing, speed and fuel consumption issues caused by the incorrect prop rotation?<br /><br />Can I revererse the props and transmission controls (Borg Warner) to solve the problem? Are transmissions designed to operate predominantly in one direction? Will they be damaged if I run them in "reverse" for an extended period? <br /><br />I assume the right way to fix the problem is to swap the engines to get the props to the correct rotation ... clockwise for the starboard and counter-clockwise for the port. <br /><br />Can I expect performance to increase significantly?