Merc Outboard - Need Help

lakebum

Recruit
I have a '60's model Merc 9.8 hp Twin outboard. SN: 2469973. The pull rope broke, so I bought a new one & installed it. Now I can't get the spring to rewind properly and the pull rope to retract. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate your help.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />lakebum<br /><br />------------------

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Merc Outboard - Need Help

Hi lakebum
smile.gif
<br />If you have a fax no. email it to me and I'll send you a picture. 1 picture=1000 words<br />If not post and I'll start wrighting.<br />...hopful...corm
biggrin.gif

lakebum

Recruit

thanks corm - but just figured out I was missing a lock washer that holds the shaft inplace after the spring is wound tight. Got it working, now. Thanks for the assistance. <br /><br />Another question for ya - I'm due to to retire from my current occupation (military) in a few short years and interested in becoming a marine mechanic & work at a marina somewhere in the Ozarks or possibly Grand Lake, in Oklahoma. From all the postings I've read, it appears you know your stuff and have likely been working in this field for sometime (am I right ??). Any guidance you could provide is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Once again - thanks for your help..<br /><br />lakebum

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Lakebum,<br />Yes, I've been doing it for a long time or<br />so it seems.
smile.gif
33yrs full time 3or4 yrs part time. It is a challenging job, seldom boreing. There Tech schools you could go to<br />that only teach marine engines.That would help you get a job.Employers,these days,don't<br />always have the time to train someone from scratch.They will send you to the factory<br />service schools for their brands if you show<br />prommise. Some times you have to start in the rigging dept. Just depends on the dealership. The area you are going to is well<br />suited to the profession,water & boats with a<br />long boating season.Unlike Wisconsin
smile.gif
.<br />Write some dealers and see what they require to be hired. Good luck, the right shop is fun.<br />...have fun...corm