Corm, Mercury mystery solved... ,I think?

JP

Cadet
Hey Corm, I've been using the schools' system to access the iboats forum and the system administrator denied my access for several days so I couldn't get in touch for awhile. Anyway, I think we might have identified a specific area that may be causing my motor problems and without having to use any bats blood or brine of pigs eye stuff. There was a bat outside my classroom door today - strange coinsidence that you mentioned that...? In reference to the '98 Merc. 3 cycl. mystery problem -<br />Facts:<br />1c. I removed the air box and left the motor cowling off.<br />2c. My son ,James, ran the motor at WOT while I sprayed a mist of petro' into the carb. throats(one at a time).<br />3c. The lower and middle carbs. responded by flooding out and causing the motor to almost die.<br />4c. The top carb. responded by almost throwing me off the back of the boat with a sudden burst of power.<br />5c. I found that with a mist of petro' sprayed into the top carb., at certain intervals, I could help the motor to run at full power and speed.<br /> Conclusion: I intend to do a rebuild on all three carbs. and inspect the reed valves and fuel supply lines. <br /> Do you think I should look at the fuel pump? If so, how can I determine if the pump is moving enough fuel? Where is the fuel pump anyway? Thanks for your many, and I hope, continued suggestion to my boating battles. Really - Thanks a lot, JP

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Corm, Mercury mystery solved... ,I think?

See I told you about the bats.
biggrin.gif
<br />Good idea on the gas spray bottle,hope you had your fire exh handy. Glad you didn't fall off when it worked like a Merc.<br />I would not wory about the fuel pump,it would run lean on all three carb then. Just rebuild the carbs,sounds like you got it nailed down.(just the reeds on the top one)<br />Good luck JP.<br />...have fun...corm