Mariner outboard

Gene

Recruit
I am thinking about buying an 8hp Mariner outboard from a guy. He says it's a long shaft but it looks short to me. On the ID plate it has the model # 6G1 then all by it self the letter S then the Serial #. I'm thinking the letter S means Short shaft. Where do you measure from? What is the difference in lenght between the two? Any help would be appreciated.

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: Mariner outboard

Hello:<br />I'am not much on Mariners but I will give it a shot. <br />First, the differance between a short and long is 5" in legnth. a short being considered 15" from transom mount to cavitation plate,(Horizontal plate just above the prop) A long, 20", using the same measuring points. <br />Don't always go by the model #, many small engines are easily extended from std to long, so going by a Model # could be misleading.<br />Look for a 5" spacer between the lower unit and mid section. a good sign that the engine is a 20" model. Although, most of the new 20" models comming from the factory do not have an insert.<br />If you really arn't sure, take it to a dealer and they should be able to tell you just by looking at it.<br />I hope this has helped.<br />Good Luck, Rob