Hmm Odd...Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I have a 2001 Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One, and it was doing a lil something odd yesterday, I thought I might draw upon the vast knowledge and experience of y'all for this one. It ran just fine, then we notices like a ticking, tinny noise coming from the back end, IE, motor. It seemed like the motor was doing fine though. Later on, it seemed like we had a lag in power, the day was coming to a close so I babied her in, nice gradual accelerations, no more than 1/2 throttle. When we were slowing to dock it decided it did not want to run in fwd idle, or neutral, had to gas it a little. Curious as to what that might be. When I flushed it out, the engine ran fine once again until at idle, lots of shaking, etc, and then finally died. Any ideas? Fuel filter? Cylinder not firing? Any help would be most appreciated! <br /><br />TIA...<br /><br />Chris

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Hmm Odd...Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One

How did the engine temp and oil pressure look when this happened? Try pulling the plug wires one at a time when it's running to see if it is one particular cylinder that isn't hitting. Hopefully it's just a bad spark plug or bum fuel. That noise is a little worrisone, though.

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Temp and oil were normal... I will try the plug thing though, and maybe even throw some fresh fuel in there and see what transpires.

Trent

Captain

Dont think you have a problem at all..It sounds just like your flapper valve in the exhaust. Depending on the power settings it will make that noise..If its not overheating.. Dont worry.<br /><br />As to the shaking..check the idle mixture.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

C17, for an inboard to lose power, refuse to idle, shake and die ain't normal. Especially a 2001. It's still under warranty, isn't it? I'd let your dearler/tech have a poke at it if the plugs or fuel aren't the culprit.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

c17, we have had problems with the original ac spark plug i think the #is ac mr43lts.we have been replacing them with ngk bpr6efs.good luck

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

C17, the noise I cant be sure about...but I will say that these motors make alot of noises, especially at idle...intermitant valve train noises, exhaust shutters,amongst the other things dancing and shaking at low rpm's.....the running problem sounds familiar, I would suspect you have a carburator that is flooding over, I have seen these carbs with an elevated fuel height inside the carb, will run ok 90% of the time, a little jiggling at idle and they start to drip excess fuel into the motor causing running probs.....you paid for that warrantee. use it.

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went and threw some fuel stabilizer in the tank and some water remover just for kicks, and I am going to fill it up (it is about 1/2 full with the older fuel) with fresh fuel and see what transpires. I also bought a new Fuel Filter/Water Separator, but havent installed it yet. Going for the most simple fix first. Otherwise I'll be calling the dealer later.<br /><br />--Chris

Fouled Plug

Ensign

C17, go ahead and clean & gap those spark plugs while you're at it. Let us know how it goes!

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AH well. Same problem. Went out and ran for maybe an hour, still problem so went and docked at the dealer and got one of the maintenace guys out to look at it. "It should not be doing that!" So he went and got 4 new plugs and on the last one he found that part of the plug had detonated.... not good. He thinks that part of the metal from the plug might have damaged a valve, the cylinder isnt doing much...you can disconnect and connect it and no change in RPM or performance. Gonna go and drop it off in the morning, he said it might be something as simple as a valve replacement, or something worse.. doesnt know until they have a look see. I'll keep y'all posted...and thanks for the help thus far!<br /><br />--Chris

Fouled Plug

Ensign

C17, I hope your warranty covers whatever it is. I'm surprised that part of the plug had fragged. I've never had one lose any metal before! :eek: That "ticking" noise may have been that piece of metal boinking around in the cylinder. I hate to think what the piston might look like. <br /> :(

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The warranty covers it from what I was told, the dealer did a compression check...ZERO! They called Mercruiser to see what they want them to do... of course this is the best few days this week....Keep your fingers crossed!

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Sure sounds like you've got a valve hanging open. Glad the warranty covers you! Let us know what the techs find when they crack it open.

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tech over at the shop found that one of the valves had 'tuliped' He said it can be caused by high cylinder heat, which can be caused by fuel, bad timing or 'lagging.' Either way its covered by the warranty! :) They called Mercry who just wanted to replace the valve send the head over to the machine shop, etc, but the dealer argued with them long enough to convince them to send a new head. He said basically the argument was that I had just gotten the boat less than a month ago and now here it's broken. He said he tried for a whole new engine but they opted for the head instead, despite Mercury's protests. It should have shipped today, and will be here on Mon prob, and should have the boat back Weds latest!<br /><br />--Chris

Fouled Plug

Ensign

C17, your tech may have meant "lugging", running the boat outside of it's RPM range or very heavily loaded. What does your tach read at WOT?

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The RPMs were good, it's still in its break in period (less than 20 hours) so I vary the throttle from time to time..and we were way within the load limits. I think it might be timing or something.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a service bulletin on 3.0 timing 98-14 .telling that the timing had to be lowered afew degrees because head gaskets were blowing,it also says to check for other damage ,like what you have encountered.it does state a ser# range ,but if your timing was too high,i think it is possible that the bulletin would apply .if the dist. hasn't been moved ask them to verify the timing for you.