Choosing Mercury 150 Optimax vs 150 EFI

ERR446

Seaman Apprentice
Both have the same displacement. Differences appear to be in the ignitions (PCM555 Digital Inductive vs Modular CDI w/computer control), alternator systems (60 vs 40 amps), induction systems (2 stage direct fuel injection vs loop charged (EFI)etc. fuel injection), oil injections electronic multipoint vs standard), dry weights (443 vs 416 pounds), and list price of $12,180 vs $10,225). Has anyone seen performance test data for these outboard engines or have any other thoughts about the Optimax being worth $2,000 more than the EFI engine for the same hp for use in fresh water?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Choosing Mercury 150 Optimax vs 150 EFI

I haven't really poured-opver the specs of either engine, but what makes the Optimax more expensive is your last sentence...Salt water corrosion resistance of the Optimax.<br />If you are certain the EFI will never see salt, go for it,as the added protection won't be required.But anyhoo, that is what you are paying extra for, and it's a bunch of materials difference internally.

D

DJ

I'm not a Merc. expert, but ther's more to Optimax than salt water protection. As with any Direct Injected engine, it is much more efficient than a normal EFI engine. Regular EFI injects the fuel and oil mixture in front of the reeds and essentially just replaces a carburetor. Like a throttle body injection unit on a car.<br /><br />DFI, is a different animal. Fuel and air are mixed and sprayed at high pressure DIRECTLY into the combustion chamber. The lube oil is circulated through the engine seperately and at a much less useage rate.<br /><br />Pluses for DFI (Optimax) 1. Much better fuel and oil economy. 2. Cleaner emissions. 3. Smoother smoke free running. <br /><br />Downsides 1. More complex. 2. New technology. I think the majors have got most of the kinks out now.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know where i am from, every dealer says more problems with the 2000 and older optimax. Newer technology usually means better efficiency, cleaner running, cooler and smoother, BUT BUT, much more $$$ to fix, less experience out there fixing them, and then the old kinks. I would save the $2000 and buy an engine that most mechanics know how to fix and diagnose. I think the optimax was built for hardcore boaters, sponsered fisherman, and people with a lot of money! ;)

ERR446

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your inputs. Sounds like sound advice to me. There are so many products to choose between that it becomes a problem trying to keep up on the latest and to make a decision what to buy. This is only my second otboard purchase and the first was about 30 years ago.

D

DJ

As I said in another post. Technology is advancing all around us.<br /><br />Some said computers, CD players and cell phones would never catch on either.

cochran351

Cadet

I would get the EFI. Merc stopped producing the Opti's for a period in 2001 due to powerhead failures. EFI will be a little quicker but will use more gas and oil. One failure will buy thousands of gallons of gas tho. If you really want to save some bucks and get a reliable engine go with the carbed XR6. You can still buy them till 2006. My personal feelings are that the present carbed engines from any of the major makers are the best buys and smartest moves you can make, unless you are living and fishing on restricted waters in Calif. or some other states. I bought a 150 carbed yamaha V max<br />last year and love it.

rap

Cadet

My brother has a 25' sportcat w/ 2-200 Opti's. It's 1.5 yrs. old w/ 200 hours. I have run the boat several times. Engines have run flawlessly. Excellent fuel ecomony, cruising 4000 RPMs, 40MPH, 15-16 GPH total. Runs smokeless and quiet. Starts with turn of the key, no choking or cold start required. Lots of power however previous model engines of the same HP rating will have more power. This is because the fed.s have cracked down on the "new model" outboard motor HP rating tolerances. Engines must develop no more than 10% over or under their rated HP.

rap

Cadet

Direct fuel injection and 4 strokes are here to stay. Opti's as with all of the new DFI engines, Ram Fitch & HPDFI have struggled through the growing pains of new technology. However now there reliabliliy is close to the older technologies with many other advantages. Spend the money on the extended warantee. Also you might check out the new Suzuki 140 4 stroke. Just tested one a week ago, I was very impressed lots of power throughout the RPM range especially on bottom end, super quiet and smokeless.