Bad Rap or What?

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class
In this mornings paper I saw a Force outboard for sale. But after reading this BB for the last month I concluded that Force was needing attention about 2-1 against all other makes. Can anyone give me any input on this? I have owned two Merc's [a 100hp & 115hp], and I can't imagine anything Mercury had anything to do with giving this much trouble. Thanks for any help on this matter. I've noticed they sell for quite a bit less than other outboards. Hal :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad Rap or What?

Forces are 1950s technology. With exquisite care from day 1 they are only about twice as likely as other 50s technology engines to break. West Bend couldn't make them work reliably, Chrysler did even worse. At least Mercury got some of the quality control issues under control, but did not redesign what were poor designs in the first place.<br /><br />There are Force fans out there with true stories of great engines, but they are a distinct minority. <br /><br />My advice? Avoid them.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Cwr

Seaman Apprentice

I'm on my second force 40 on the same hull, first one factory defect. Second one every other defect so far. It hasn't left me stranded yet though knock on wood. But I would not recommend a force outboard on my mother-in-law, get my drift. Just my opinion though. :(

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I AGREE WITH "RED SKY AT NIGHT"<br />I LIKE MERCS.<br />REX

Fouled Plug

Ensign

I actually own a Force, a 9.9 that I'm pleased with. Never had a big one though. Sounds like they can be a headache!

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Being a Force and Mercury owner, I'd recommend steering clear of the Force outboards. They need to much TLC, but if you'er willing,and mechanicaly inclined,and the price is right...maybe?!?

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot Folks,I think you have just saved me some money!I try to take good care of my equipment but boating is supposed to be fun and my idea of fun is on the water. When I come home from a day on the water I usually look things over and take care of any necessary maintenance. I work on them when it needs it, butI couldn't do it without your help. Thanks again. Hal :D

jimdi

Cadet

Gee - I must be a minority - <br /><br />I had a 68 johnson 100 v4 with elec ignition that SUCKED - It ran 25% of the time.<br /><br />My force 125 ran for 12 years without a hitch - always started - never left me stranded - only work I did to it was new plugs - change lower end oil once a year - and of course winterize -Last month I blew a ring in it waterskiing - my mechanic says it's bad design - new pistons should correct.<br /><br />All in all I have been a force fan - but I have to admit Johnson made me one.<br /><br /><br /> :cool: :cool:

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Harrison20002, I think you are mistaken. Force engines are old Chrysler motors. Mariner engines are offshoots of Mercs.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

I HAVE A 120HP. ON 18FT MAXIUM 1994. NEVER HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM;BUT YOU HAVE TO STAY ON TOP OF IT.ONLY PROBLEM WAS STATOR; SWITCHBOXES;AND CHANGE THE IMPELLER SINCE I OWNED IT ;BUT OTHERWISE IT RUNS GREAT.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If the price is right,the price is right.<br />I am personally glad of the reputation of Force motors. Even tho they are inferior, THEY ARE CHEAP. Just don't treat them like twin Yammies, and have fun.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys; I enjoyed each response, both pro and con. I decided to also take 12 footers advise and called the man. He said he had just sold it. We talked a little bit and he admitted he would have almost given it away if he hadn't got rid of it so quick. Four years and nothing but trouble<br /><br />Your right Tony H. Chrysler did own Force and after that Mercury owned them both. Then Merc dropped them, two lemons? I should talk I have two Chryslers but I've also owned what I think were two of the best going, a 100hp and a 115hp MERCS. Thanks again all. Hal. ;) ;) ;)

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont belive force is the problem its all 2 cycle outboards! I have owned 4 outboards now and thats including the 4sroke honda,everyone had problems including my rebuilt evinrude like a 70s model,89 80 merc,force but not the honda.