CHEVY MERCRUISER 305 WATER IN BREATHER TUBES

dsimpson

Recruit
I am new to boating and I hope someone could help me. One week ago,after motor was running(cruising speed) for about 35 minuets I was having trouble starting the motor. After several attempts it started and ran fine. The next time out the same problem occured. I then noticed water in my breather tubes to the carb(very little almost like condensation).There is NO water on dipstick or on top end of motor. First start is fine only after cruising for a while I have this problem.Engine is running great except for this "hard start". I hope someone could help.

dsimpson

Recruit
Re: CHEVY MERCRUISER 305 WATER IN BREATHER TUBES

Turns over fine(cranking).Just does'nt start right away.When I pull off the breather tubes from the carb. it starts right up.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's helpful to know what you mean by "hard starting". Does your engine crank but won't fire (as if out of gas) or does it have difficulty cranking (as if battery low)?<br /><br />Walt

dsimpson

Recruit

I also notice that after cruising for a while and I shut down motor a small amount of steam(very little) coming out of breathers when I disconnect them. My air filter was very dirty and was replaced. I thought that maybe the steam was condensing on my air filter thus giving me my "hard start".Boat was only used one time after changing filter and it seems that less water is present in breathers.(maybe left over moisture???).

herman_21060

Recruit

Sounds as tho you might have a COLD running engine IE:NO thermostat letting the condensation<br />build up in the crankcase, allowing the intake to suck this condensation into the intake, on start up, until enough gas has been introduced to counter act the moisture on the plugs.