Poor Running 200 Black Max

starbuck98

Recruit
I have a '95 200 Mercury EFI that has no hole shot. I've changed the ecu, throttle position sensor, spark plugs, fuel pressure reg. Still have no low end power, the compression is good on all cylinders. I live at 6000' above sea level and I'm not sure what the timing should be at Idle. Does anybody have any suggestions? my e-mail is srkirkwood@msn.com thanks for any help!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Poor Running 200 Black Max

After all that part switching,how are you propped,and what kind of hole shot are you searching for?

starbuck98

Recruit

I'm running a 21" four blade hill prop. Last year the engine began acting up all at once after I tried a real high pitch prop. I went back to my old prop and nothing would then work. So I had the local repair shop try and fix by replacing all the new parts they said it needed and still does not run right. It seems like it either is flooding itself or not getting enough fuel on take off then about 1500-2000 rpm it just takes off then sometimes it will go full throttle and some times not. I have learned a bit about the engine since I cannot find anyone to work on it. I wuold appreciate any suggestions.<br /><br />Thanks

MERCMAN

Seaman

SOUNDS LIKE YOU TOOK IT A PARTS CHANGER NOT A REPAIR SHOP. ACTS LIKE YOU HAVE A IGNITION PROBLEM WHAT YOU CAN DO IS TAKE A TIMING LIGHT AND HOOK IT TO EACH PLUG WIRE AND SEE IF YOU CAN FIND A CYLINDER OR CYLINDERS THAT ARE NOT FIRING.IF YOU FIND ONE HOLE NOT FIRING IT'S A SWITCH BOX IF IT'S TWO OR MORE ON THE SAME SIDE IT'S A SWITCH BOX IF IT IS TWO BUT ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE IT IS THE TRIGGER.ALSO IF YOU FIND ALL THREE ONE SIDE DON'T FIRE IT COULD BE THE HIGH SIDE OF THE STATOR GOING OUT BUT ON THAT PATICULAR STATOR IS RARE. HOPE THIS HELPS AND I DID NOT CONFUSE YOU WITH ALL THIS. GOOD LUCK :)

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you checked the reeds ,and what about the filters in the injectors ,did you ever have water in the fuel that may have caused corrosion in the fuel system and clogged the injs. you have changed the water seperating fuel filter havn't you? almost every problem i have had with an efi engine was not part of the efi system, cover your basics first

starbuck98

Recruit

I have checked to see if all cylinders are firing and they do. I have not checked the reeds and the injectors but I do change the fuel filter both on the engine and on the boat. I have never had any water in the filters yet. After the tps sensor went out I did put a volt meter on it to check the voltage out of it and both a idle and wide open the shop had it high according to the manual. It didn't help the situation but I then noticed that the screw on the timming adjustment had been moved from the original factory setting thats why I was asking about the timming. Hey guys I appreciate the help because there is only one place in Colorado Springs that works on Merc, and so far I'm not impressed.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

i come from around 1000 ft and in all of our manuals that i have looked up timing specs they never give a hi alt specs on timing . besides you have an efi which should compensate for alt, baro, etc