mariner 30, sucking air??

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
90 model or so, and we have to run in on half choke to make it go very well. Can't tell that it would be sucking air from anywhere, but there is also a screw on the bottom of the carb, possibly for the main jet. Anyone know this setting? Thanks in advance!!

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mariner 30, sucking air??

A trick I was shown by an auto mechanic was to spray carb cleaner around the areas suspected of having leaks. If you spray over an air sucking leak the revs pick up as the sprayed fuel (carb cleaner) reaches the cylinders. I would suggest using WD40 instead of carb cleaner in 2 strokes as it has a lubricant in it.

Trent

Captain

Running with the choke on is a classic sign that carbs need cleaning and a kit installed.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Third opinion,they are right. Carb,fuel pump,restricyed fuel line, tank ventng.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kev, Recently I had the same problem, I checked the fuel pump first. The diaphram looked good so I cleaned the carb. Still had the same problem so I started at the fuel tank. Sure enough, the connection at the top of the tank was split and sucking air. Replaced the line and it runs fine. Hope this helps you and Happy Boating! Hal :confused: