MERC 150 HP CARB FUEL USE CHART

KURT NELSON

Recruit
I would like a fuel usage chart (RPM vs GPH), or table for a (2001) 150 HP Mercury Carb. Engine on a 20' Proline. Can any one help me. Thanks , Kurt

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MERC 150 HP CARB FUEL USE CHART

Kurt, I don't have a chart, but an old rule of thumb is one half pound of fuel per horsepower per hour. Using this, WOT would approximate 1/2 x 150 or 75pph, and if fuel weighs around 6.5 pounds/gallon then 11.5 gph would be close. This formula seems to apply to reciprocating (2- and 4-stroke)as well as turbine engines, and has so far proven accurate (plus/minus 10%) at anything above 1/2 throttle. Below that, no guarantees...hope this helps. <br />In my limited experience, marine two-strokes seem to have a fairly linear torque curve within their power band (unlike their two-wheeled brethren), so half throttle should approximate one-half power output...although I'd like the input of someone with more years of outboard experience on this one. I suspect the difference to be mainly due to exhaust configuration...which would also explain the 5500 rpm ceiling outboards seem to share regardless of size. Comments?<br />Rich

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about that but I got a 1988 90 hp johnson on a 17 foot boat with a 70l tank ( thats about 15 gals) that we run all day pulling skiers and tubes . Using that formula I would use 292.5 lbs of fuel in one hour! at WOT . Could someone could check my math to see if I'm right?

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let's see...90HP x 1/2 = 45 pounds per hour. Fuel at 6.5 pounds per gallon, about seven gallons per hour at WOT. If you're going WOT all day on 71 litres (closer to 19 gal), you win the economy race. I can go through six gallons in two hours with my 50HP at 80% power (three gph, 20 pph = 40HP} or throttle back and make it last three, but my 115 Merc will inhale a 6 gallon can in 45 minutes with the throttle way up....anyone else care to share their observations?

dick

Chief Petty Officer

70 l = 15.398 gals (4.546L per gal. English )<br />70 l = 18.667 gals (3.75L per gal. U.S.)Thats what I'm trying to say ,that formula just don't work for me. I know what my tank holds and I can be out for a good 7-8 hours no problem.Anyone else tried this formula out ?