good quality oil

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: good quality oil

Is this a setup???<br /><br />Read the oil FAQ and if your questions are not answered then come back.<br /><br /> Oil FAQ

duck64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I READ THE FAQ's SEEMS LIKE THERE ALL GOOD

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's your answer, Duck. All TC-W3 rated oils are good.<br /><br />We all have our favorites. Mine is Wal Mart SuperTech. Some prefer Quicksilver.<br /><br />Many (including LubeDude) swear by full synthetic oils.<br /><br />Good luck, and look for this in the General Outboard Forum. :)

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't to get any arguments started but I was at my local omc dealer today to pick up some parts that i needed. The guy working the counter happened to ask what oil I was using. I told him Pennzoil synthetic. He said I should switch to a dealer brand, omc, quicksilver, yamalube, whatever. He wasn't trying to push his brand. After the manager walked away he told me he has been using Amsoil in his motor for 2 yrs. When he torn it down due to a blown head gasket (not oil related) there were no carbon deposits whatsoever. He also told me he picked up 200 rpms with this oil. Also talked with a auto shop owner that tried Amsoil in his Ford Excursion and picked up 4 more mpg. I orderd a gallon for my outboard after hearing this and will post my finding in the near future.

LubeDude

Admiral

Forum members:<br /><br />Honest, I havnt talked to ReelDrag before he posted this, I had nothing to do with it.<br /><br />Well, as much as I like the Amsoil line of products, I have to say that there is no way he picked up 4 MPG with just a switch to Amsoil synthetic. Maybe 1-2 MPG. However, the story about the 2 cycle oil is likely true.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Pennzoil Marine. Its cheap, a synthetic blend, smokeless, good product great price. Is it the best ???? Who knows? I have good luck with it. reasonably priced

ReelDrag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LubeDude, I find it hard to believe the 4mpg too. Maybe the guy was a dealer. I'll try it in my outboard and see what happens. Also, I've seen the GTA fuel enhancer you talk about and it doesn't look like anything I would use in my outboard or anything else for that matter. Looks like glue pouring out of the bottle, kind of stringy to the touch. Good luck with that, hope it doesn't gum up your carbs.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

ReelDrag- you never mentioned why the sales guy was down on Pennzoil??

LubeDude

Admiral

Reeldrag:<br /><br />I have to agree as to what you say about the GTA, but you have to remember that it is mixed with the fuel at a very high delution rate. After trying it in practically everything I own and just about everyone in the familys vehicles, I will never be without it agian. It honestly a truly UNBELIEVABLE Product. I myself wouldt have beleived it myself if I hadnt actually tried it. I did some jet changing on my outboard this week end, and checked the plugs and all, everything looks great, and no hint of being gummed up. Im telling you, that if you were to ever try it you would never stop using it.