Intermitent ignition Problem Merc 1998 75hp 2stroke

stanois

Cadet
I have a 1998 merc 75 hp 2 stroke engine with less than 150 hrs on it. Recently I have been expierencing starting problems and engine stopping completely while in motion. I changed spark plugs/fuel filter and gas(fresh). Still I had the same problem. At times it would run and then it would just stop completly. i took to a reputable mercury repair shop and they found that i was not always recieving spark at all the cylinders. the ignition harness was ruled out since the repair shop hooked up a good harness and it still did the same thing. Finally it was concluded that it could be the stator. I replaced the stator (not cheap) . The engine ran fine at the shop and at home. The next day I started her up again and she started for about 2minutes and then cut out. I could'nt get her going again. Needless to say I took the engine back to the repair shop and am waiting for their diagnosis. There does not seem to be any pattern or instance when the engine cuts out it is really inter :) mintent. any ideas?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Intermitent ignition Problem Merc 1998 75hp 2stroke

Check the stator. It is also inportant to know which ignition system on this engine, my Merc manual shows 3 different systems.

stanois

Cadet

Thanks Clanton. Just heard back from repair shop and they have confirmed that the new stator is good and all cylinders are sparking. The engine did start and at times did cut out but started again. Repair shop indicated to me that the merc 75/90 can be very fincky and that they need back preasure to operate properly in othewards in the water. Hooking up strictky to ear muffs and a garden hose may not create enough back pressure causing the engine to lean pop. They also rebuilt the fuel pump by putting a new diaphram in.<br />Does this sound reasonalbe to you? Anyways we will see how she operates this weekend on the lake. Thanks :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

Sounds ok to me, but if they installed stator, and adjusted carbs, they should watertest and verify engine runs ok. They should have also checked timing after replacing the stator.