the price of tune-up parts! is the dealer full of ***X

IL Landowner

Cadet
the local dealer all but laughed at me when I said I was wanting plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. he said those parts new are worth more than my hole engine?? said cap is around 100.00 and rotor close to 300.00! is he full of ***x or are these parts REALLY that hard to come by?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: the price of tune-up parts! is the dealer full of ***X

Well, yes and no. Yes if you're dealing with a a-hole who wants to rape you for NOS or used parts passed off as new. No if you check out ebay and other parts sources on the web...you may have to settle for used unless you can drop some coin. Another way is to keep an eye out for a motor just like yours and try to get it as a parts horse for not too much. Persistence and patience pays off when dead presidents are thin.

alcan

Commander

Hi Landowner<br />Usually the cap is about $300. and the rotor is only a hun. If you could tell us what model you have maybe we could offer some help. These parts can be expencive, I'm not kidding. How ever they are not really concidered desposeable parts like auto parts used to be. Replace these parts only if they are no longer serviceable. Just clean them up and run them.

IL Landowner

Cadet

I actually have just cleaned the cap and rotor to keep it running, the year evidently is a 1974, it is a 150 h.p., inline-6