4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Dakota Fox

Recruit
Is there a noticable difference between the lower and upper speed power or torque of a 25 hp ob engine. I have a 16 foot lund used on a lake with a 25 hp limit. Which brand of engine seems to match up best(merc, honda, nisson, etc?)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Honda.

phatmanmike

Captain

merc, tohatsu, yamaha, they are all about the same, except yamahas new 25hp 2 stroke only weighs 98 pounds

Dakota Fox

Recruit

Let me refrase my question. Is there noticible difference between a 4 stroke engine versus a 2 stroke engine with the same hp rating?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The nisson will be a touch lighter and may offer some benefits. Very reliable, just as the Honda. This is just my opinion, but a 2-Stroke will have a little different feel to it, as oppossed to the 4-stroke and may have a bit more power for what you need. Not real significant, but there will be a difference...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Horsepower is horsepower, but the power comes on at different points in the RPM range between 4 and 2 strokes. It is often noted that a 2 stroke seems to bring its power on earlier in the rpm band than a 4 stroke. Most seem to feel that a 2 stroke gives a better holeshot, and my own experience confirms that. I also feel that for your application that holeshot is not that important, and that the other factors of the comparison should come into play, such as weight, economy, reliability, etc. If it where me, I would go with the four stroke for your application unless the wallet does not allow for it. The four stroke is quieter and more economical, as well as very reliable.

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From what I understand, Yamaha measures the horsepower at the prop? If so, and if others do same, I assumed that performance should be the same, excepting the weight differance. Except, as stated above, the 4 is less dirty, somewhat more efficent, quieter. My next motor will be a four stroke for sure (I wish I had one now!). To me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages unless the price gap really grows because of future proposed laws banning 2strokes.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

duck <br />Merc has spent 100 mllion on the Virado 4-stroke,<br />Suzuki has gone all 4-stroke, Honda has always been a 4-stroke company! You can see the future of outboards here. Warning..Honda makes good motors and typically you will get a good one...but if you EVER need it worked on under warranty Honda runs backwards!

D

DJ

ALL engines are measured at the prop today. It's been that way since 1983. The makers have to stay within 10% of that rated hp.

Alex65

Seaman

954Winns: Honda runs backwards in terms of warranty work? Really. Ummm...I own both a BF2 & BF150 engines, never needed warranty work @ this point. <br /><br />A friend of mine has a BF90 that had some issues & needed work done. No problems @ all!!! Work was done & didn't cost him a cent, Also, it was done pretty quickly as well. <br /><br />As I recall, the BF115 & the BF130 had a recall, in regards to a possible cracked cylinders? From what I understand, Honda jumped right in & starting fixing them w/o a hitch. Also, they extended a 10 year warranty "after" the recall work was done! Doesn't sound like they were running away from the problem.<br /><br />I think you're "off-base" on that scenario.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Alex