Why separate tank for Seafoam/decarb?

imported_Paul_B

Recruit
I'm trying to figure out why, if you want to decarb using the liquid Seafoam, you're supposed to use a separate fuel tank? Why not just put one gallon of gas in your normal tank, add oil as appropriate and then the pint of Seafoam? What does using a separate tank buy you?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Why separate tank for Seafoam/decarb?

I don't see any reason for a second tank...maybe in case your main tank is full? It is much better to use the aerosol Seafoam (Deep Creep) into your carbs anyway...

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

I tried a seperate tank with the 3/4 gallon of fuel and 16oz of liquid Sea Foam and found that it did OK. The next day I bought the aersol type and sprayed it into my carbs while it was running. That seemed to help some also. BUT, it was not until I killed it, put the airbox cover back on, and then pulled the plugs and liberally sprayed it into the cylinders. Let it set and soak for a few hours, then stand back when you start it. It will smoke and blow black oil, chunks,and other crap all over the ground. It will smoke very heavily when first started if it decarbed it correctly.

LubeDude

Admiral

I think that the reason the separate tank is suggested is that there are so many boats with built in tanks. If you have carry on tanks, there is no reason you cant use your tank, then when done go ahead and fill it and use it. <br /><br />As per OZs reply, the reason is that it it gets a lot more seafoam into the engine. When I tryied to decarb with the spray cans, I couldnt get enough in my 150 Merc to kill the engine. I never did the other tank thing, as I did a whole can into the engine and let it sit over night, It seemed to do a decent job.

KCLOST

Commander

Walleye Man, Is this Walleyhead???<br /><br />If so, did you read my post on tilt trim on the repair forum. The title has your name in it...<br /><br />By the way, the seperate tank isn't needed...

fishhawk16

Seaman

Is there a down side to decarbing you motor new or old?

chippy

Seaman Apprentice

I ran one of my tanks out of gas and then put a can of sea foam in it, then put 2 gal of gas in the tank. I ran the motor to warm it up. Then removed the sparkplugs and sprayed the pistons with sea foam and let it sit for 1 hr. Upon startup, WOW,STAND BACK!! My motor is clean now and runs exclent.

gss036

Commander

Not really something one would want to do on a concrete driveway, your wife would really be upset then, but then again maybe she will tell you that you need to take your boat for a drive. :-}<br />It really does work and NAAPA sell it for $4.99 a can.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

KCLOST<br /><br />I did not see your topic on tilt trim. I will search it out.

KCLOST

Commander

I'll bump it to the top for you.. I would like you're input...