'89 75hp Mariner. Spark Plug Help.

Johnny O'

Cadet
Boat is a 1990 Procraft 18.6' Fish Hunter, Alu with an '89 Mariner 75hp motor. Both are well maintained and running geat. I however checked the plugs after 2 great days on the water and found them all to be very wet with oil? and also when I removed them the slightest drip of oil? came out of the motor. The motor is running extreamly well but I was wondering what if anything I should do with this suitation and if it is a sign of bad things to come. The boat is used mostly for knee boarding and tubing with the kids. The current plugs are NGK BUHW-2. Also I have changed to the highest octane gas I can get which has made a huge difference in the motors performance. Could this be the problem? :confused: As you can tell I have limited skills in the motor dep except to check oil and plugs so any help would be appreciated.

NathanY

Commander
Re: '89 75hp Mariner. Spark Plug Help.

Well it sounds as though the motor is getting plenty of oil, and you said it runs perfectly, so I say if it aint broke dont fix it. Your lucky to have a motor that runs like that one does. However, my manual calls for L78V Spark plugs which are a surface gap plug made for higher performance. That would probably get rid of the excess oil.

Johnny O'

Cadet

Nathan thank you I forgot to mention that it was a 75hp "ELPTO" if that make any difference. I don't know what the letters stand for, but I will change the plugs as you suggested.<br />Johnny O'

NathanY

Commander

E- Electric Start<br />L- Longshaft<br />PT-Power Trim<br />O- Oil injected

Johnny O'

Cadet

Thanks again Nathan, but i need to bug you one more time. L78V.....Who manufactures this Plug and where can I get one?/ NAPA??