fuel delivery problems

falker

Cadet
I have a 115 merc and the front tank was removed for corrosion reasons before I even got the boat. There was a 5 gallon tank in the back so I bought another 5 gallon tank and mounted both in the bow. Now after priming the bulb my motor runs fine until the fuel in the line runs out then stalls, re-prime the bulb and same thing. If I remove the line and put the tank in the back again I have no problems at all.<br />Any idea's as to what could be causing this?<br />Thanks, <br />Falker

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel delivery problems

My guess would be a weak fuel pump not being able to pump it that far.<br /><br />Might have to get a low pressure electric pump or rebuild the fuel pump to see if that helps it first.<br /><br />I take it that you are using the same hose in both positions of the tank.<br /><br />If not, you might have a restriction in the hose to the front.

falker

Cadet

If my memory serves me correctly the fuel pump consists of just a couple of seals and a diaphram and runs off pressure from the water intake system...am I correct?<br />If I am correct I may need new a new impeller as well right? :eek: <br />Boating man!!!

Calabrio

Seaman Apprentice

I just went through a similiar problem. I could run without a problem on my back tank, but would meet the same result once I switched to the rear.<br /><br />I rebuilt the fuel pump ($10 part)- it's essentially a rubber diaphram.<br /><br />And I replaced the fuel line to the front of the boat, it had tiny, miniscule cracks enabling it to suck in air.