1996 15hp Evinrude water pump

d18

Cadet
I have a '96 15 Evinrude, just bought it and<br />the pump seems to work ok, but when you put<br />it in reverse, the water stops coming out of the pisser.<br /><br />Is this a sign that the pump needs to be replaced?

d18

Cadet
Re: 1996 15hp Evinrude water pump

Could it be a problem with the intake being<br />plugged slightly?

Xcusme

Commander

Not likely on the water intake being plugged.It shouldn't make any difference what gear or being in Neutral, the driveshaft is turning when the motor is running. Since the driveshaft drives the water pump impeller, you should have water pumping continuously. If this is a new to you motor, I'd drop the lower unit and replace the pump impeller. Replacing the thermostat wouldn't hurt either. Both parts are cheap and is good insurance against an overheat. If the impeller has never been changed..it's 10 years old..<br /><br />Are you running this in a tank/barrel or on the water?

angus63

Captain

You might be sucking thru the prop exhaust, cavitating, and sucking the air/exhaust bubbles into the pump and loosing suction. Just a guess..

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by angus63:<br /> You might be sucking thru the prop exhaust, cavitating, and sucking the air/exhaust bubbles into the pump and loosing suction. Just a guess..
That's what I was thinking too....hence the question about the tank... :)

d18

Cadet

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br />
Originally posted by angus63:<br /> You might be sucking thru the prop exhaust, cavitating, and sucking the air/exhaust bubbles into the pump and loosing suction. Just a guess..
That's what I was thinking too....hence the question about the tank... :)
I was thinking this also, and it happens <br />when actually running in the lake at the cottage, I haven't tried it in barrel.

Xcusme

Commander

I'd still drop the lower unit and have a peek. The last thing you want is for that impeller to come apart.....