Johnson 120 V4 ignition problem

duxducis

Recruit
Can anyone explain me how to measure voltage from the stator to power pack. I disconected 2 pin Amphenol connector between charge stator and power pack. Conected voltmeter to A and B connector terminals, cranked engine and got only 95 volts. I also did ground and ohmmeter test, and it was good.<br /><br />I am trying to determine stator condition, because I have problem with my outboard. <br />Everything started last summer at WOT. Engine has loss of power after 30 seconds at WOT. Than the problem arised above 4000 RPM. I could drive it on 3500rpm for one hour without problem, but when i went above 4000 it started to lose power only after 30 seconds. Several days ago I started new season, and same problem arised again. It started more often and on low RPM. I noticed that problem starts when engine reachs operating temperature. It sounds like one cylinder goes off,than another and than shuts off. Then I must wait for 5-10 minutes until i can start my engine again. <br />BTW no overheating alarm, and I think there is no overheating because I measured temperature on each power head when problem happens, it was below 40 degrees Celsius(as I previously thought it was S.L.O.W. system) Also have new impeler and stady stream of water coming from the engine.<br /><br />I ordered 4 ignition coils, power pack, rectifier, temperature switches, thermostats, diode kit... As I am waiting my order I am considering to order stator and timer base. Any suggestions, because I do not want to spend more money than needed? :rolleyes: <br /><br />P.S. I must admit that last season I started to use NGK plugs BPR7HS, because I didn t have Champions. Now I have to sets Champion plugs on my table in front of me and planning to install them with the rest of the parts. I have QL77JC4 and QL16V. So which set should I install? :confused: <br /><br />Thank you :cool: