1984 Evinrude 140 - Water in cylinder

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone, <br /><br />This is my first post here. I'm just looking for a little bit of information. I was changing the plugs on my friends 1984 Evinrude 140 when I noticed the bottom starboard cylinder plug was wet and clean, it's getting water for sure. I loaded the cylinder with WD-40 and let it blow clean a few times. He said this happened before on the other side and had the head gasket replaced. I offered to replace the head gasket on the leaking side. I ordered the appropriate gasket but I'm not sure of the torque specs and pattern for this head. Can anyone help out? <br /><br />Also, just incase it isn't the head gasket, what else could cause an issue like this? <br /><br />I appreciate your help. <br /><br />Dave.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Evinrude 140 - Water in cylinder

Welcome Dave!<br /><br />Torque on the head bolts is 18 > 20ft lb. Start with the two center bolts and work your way out in a spiral patter. Torque in at least two sequences....like 10 on the first and 20 on the second go round. Remember to orient the gasket acording to the arrow on top of the gasket.<br /><br />There is a possibility that water good be getting in from the exhaustcover gaskets. But check the head gasket first as this is the most common place for leaks when they happen.