1961 Evinrude 5.5 Carb Problems

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I have a 1961 5.5hp Model 5522B. Unfortunately I put the wrong tank on it and got a load of rust and gas/oil in the engine. Brown sludge :( I changed the filter and pump (yep, it was that crudded up). It ran for @ 15 min ok then starting buggering up. It now will only run (slowly) with the choke full on. If I put the choke in, it will stall. Thus I assume it is not getting enough fuel thru the jets? Which is another issue. I unscrewed both jets out and both are missing the packing. Is this a major issue? And how do I set the jets back up once out? And any other ideas to fix it? Pull the carb off and take it apart and clean it up? will I need a new gasket kit? Thx alot for any help, Steve

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 1961 Evinrude 5.5 Carb Problems

Steve, Welcome to iboats,<br /><br />Well, as I see it, your only option is to remove the carb, dissemble it completely, soak it in carb cleaner and blow out all passages with compressed air. A rebuild kit will contain all necessary gaskets and parts needed. The 'Jets' as you call them are probably the low and high speed needle valves. The carb kit will have new needle valve packing too. Forget trying to spray carb cleaner thru the carb throat, the blockage is in the low speed idle circuit, and that's internal to the carb.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

make sure the kit you get comes with a new float.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And if I do get new packing for the needle valves how do I adjust them after? thx.

Xcusme

Commander

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly:<br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.<br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.<br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Thanks a lot. I'll go get a carb kit and start taking it apart...