johnson seahorse 15 hp

brandon zeoli

Recruit
i have a 15 model # j15rcsd and another # e5243702 i was looking to find the year of this motor . i am having trouble with it staying in gear it was poping out while driving and now will not engage at all any info would be great!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: johnson seahorse 15 hp

either misadjusted shift shaft, or bad clutch dog. the E would indicated an Evinrude, but can't find #

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson seahorse 15 hp

The model number J15RCSD...says it's a rope start "R"...CS is the year "80" and the "D" is the model run which don't mean much to us. The other number..E5243702..is the serical number given to the engine by the manufacturer. Mostly a means of identifying the engine...don't mean much to a wrench either.<br /><br />If the engine was popping outta' gear...like hitting a log at higher rpm, you might want to take a look at the lobes on the clutch dog and gears. Usually means they are wore to the point that they will not stay engaged at higher rpm's.<br /><br />If the engine is revving up and you lose forward motion at the same time, this would mean that the prop hub is likely spun.<br /><br />Or, is it something different?