Td-20 won't run right

big_fisher

Cadet
I need some help.i got this td-20 johnson from the late 40s but it will only run for ten seconds or less i went through the carbs and cleaned the pionts but it still will only run for 10 secs. i use champion J8c spark plugs and run 24:1 oil,gas and i have a tn-28 to will the parts be compatible with the td-20 i am very very new at this so please keep it simple

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Td-20 won't run right

Welcome to iboats Fishing_boy.<br />Let's get this to the Johnson/Evinrude forum for answers.

Paul Moir

Admiral

10 seconds sounds like a fuel delivery problem. How's the flow from the tank? What kind of shape was the float in? <br />TN-28 is like a TD except it has the shifting lower unit I believe.

big_fisher

Cadet

the fuel flow is good i cleaned it out and so is the float but is gas suppose to come out the top of the carb

Paul Moir

Admiral

No. Either the float is sinking or the float valve is leaking.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Pull the float, toss it in some gas and see if it's nice and buoyant. If it isn't, there's a Merc float you can hack into shape rather easily. If it's the valve leaking, I would probably try something like lapping compound to refit it. Tricky business there though.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If the float is floating sufficiently to close the float valve, then the float valve itself must be leaking. It's a very simple system much like a toilet tank float, where the cavity the float fits in is the toilet tank. You've got an overflowing toilet tank right?<br /><br />I would go after the float valve and it's seat then. You should be able to blow in through the fuel line and stop it by lifting the float valve.<br /><br />Send me an email at paul.moir@gmail.com I've got some additional info on that carb that might be helpful to you.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Well, if the carb is overflowing it's got to be one or the other. My guess is the float isn't buoyant enough. Do you have a cork around you can carve into a similar shape?

big_fisher

Cadet

hay thanx it worked now my motor even runs nicely. This has been a fun time and thanx again