my motor wont stop

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My motor still "after runs" after I turn the key off. What are the causes and how can I fix them? Is the switch faulty? I can only stop the motor by "choking it"

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: my motor wont stop

could be kill switch on engine or broken or loose wire. faulty ingition switch. several things. start chasing them down. search kill switch.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a 225 evinrude e225cxcce 1989 I think

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a 1988 25" counter rotating 225. Does it continue to run on all 6 cylinders or only 3?

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor will shut down with the key now however while flushing the motor yesterday I pulled the kill switch and the motor did not stop. I have the manual and it is suggesting continuity checks on the big red plug. Are there any pitfalls I should watch for

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor sounds markedly different when I turn the key off (like its dropping cylinders) but seems to run fine with the kill switch cap pulled off.

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does this motor have a shift assist switch? If so, a bad diode in the wiring that's attached to the shift assist switch can prevent the motor from stopping completely when the key switch is turned off. The diode feels like a little lump in the wiring. Test for continuity. The wire with the diode should have continuity in only one direction if the diode is good. If the motor does shut off completely with the key switch but not with the kill switch then you have a bad kill switch.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I performed the checks on the big red plug last night. The kill and key switches both ohmed out good. The shift interupter and diode ohmed out good as well. I also checked the Blocking diode in the motor harness as well. all checks were per the manual, could I have had a loose connection cuasing an intermittant problem? Just in case I cleaned all connections and grounds to be sure. Is there anything I missed?