1985 Evinrude 25 hp lower unit removal

Bucyrus

Recruit
I have a 1985 25 hp evinrude I'm trying to remove the lower unit to replace the water pump I first had problem with the front stud was stuck in the leg I managed to get it aloose and now the shifter linkage is still attached. I'ved looked at the other post on the the site and i have not found the window on the leg to remove for access. I would really appreciate it if some one would tell me the correct way to disconnect the shift linkage. Thank you for any help.<br /><br />Bucyrus

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude 25 hp lower unit removal

Welcome Bucyrus!<br /><br />First take the water instake screen apart. There's a screw on each side....take both out and the screen will come out in two pieces.<br /><br />Notice the shift rod connector....it'll take two wrenches to take it apart. Unscrew the upper connector and lift it up. Using the shift lever, move it so the upper shift rod rises to expose the end. At the end of the upper shift rod is a small plastic keeper. Carefully remove it. Once the keeper is off, you can separate the lower unit from the mid section.

Bucyrus

Recruit
Re: 1985 Evinrude 25 hp lower unit removal

Thanks for the reply, Going to get my new pump today, Thank you for your help<br /><br />Bucyrus