Evenrude Steering Jambed

RichardWooster

Recruit
I have a 30hp Evinrude that will not pivot right or left with the cable removed regardless how hard I push upon it. Steering cable works fine when disconnected and wheel is turned. Problem is either the horizontal tube (name?) into which the steering cable is insterted to push/pull on the steering ram arm, or the vertical tube (name?) on which the engine head is supported. My shop manual does not identify these parts, discuss this problem or suggest how to remove the parts. Other posts suggests ram arm is most likely frozen in the horizontal tube and the fix is penetrating oil, a bfh (big fricking hammer with punch rod), heat and patience. Can anyone name the parts and suggest a fix and source for parts I break.

Walker

Captain
Re: Evenrude Steering Jambed

If the motor won't pive with the steering cable disconnected your problem is in the verticle tube. There should be at least one grease zirk one it somewhere. Pump some grease into and then try some "Gentle Persuasion" Matbe a 2x4 on the steering arm and some increasingly strong raps with a 2lb. sledge.

RichardWooster

Recruit

I added some grease to the upper and lower zircs on the vertical tube yesterday, will try some leverage this afternoon. Difficult to get a good purchase on the motor as there is no steering arm and the wishbone holding the vertical has some rubber bushings to absorb vibration. Will report as the solution progresses.

RichardWooster

Recruit

I was mistaken, the steering cable had not been fully removed. The problem was the stainless steering rod at the end of the steering cable had frozen inside the tilt tube. Liberal application of WD-40, and tapping with a hammer on a hardwood block forced the steering rod into the tilt tube and a steel rod pushed it out the other side. Couldn't find a brake hone that went to 5/8 inside diameter, but a wire brush for a 12 Ga. shotgun mounted to a power drill cleaned the rust and a piece of fine grade sand paper mounted on the drill gave it a nice polish. Will periodically apply a quality oil to the steering rod to prevent this problem in the future.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got it, woospoint. That was the correct way to do it. They can really be a bear sometimes and you got pretty lucky. Many times the only thing that will free it is alot of heat and bigger hammers. Lube it up real good before you put it up each winter and it will never be a problem....