Cleaning water passages on 1996 150hp ocean runner

swade28

Seaman
I have a 1996 J150EXEDB that I am in the process of cleaning the water passages on. The question I have is regarding the black rtv sealant on the cylinder and heads. The sealant appears as if it is in the passages rather than around them. Can anyone please advise how I should re seal the passages? And do I put sealant on heads and cylinders? Thanks a bunch.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning water passages on 1996 150hp ocean runner

Do not get the sealer in the passages. Use it very sparingly. Be very careful around the large water openings. You don't need it on the head and block. One or the other is fine.

swade28

Seaman

Im assuming the smaller "circle" holes are passages as well? They appear to be about the same size in diameter as the bolts for the head. And since the depending on whether the passage is on the head or cylinder the opposite side of that passage butts up to metal? Is it easier to just put the sealant around the side that actual has the passage opening, whether it be on the head or cylinder? Seems it would be hard guestimating where to put the sealant if you are putting it on the side that is flush to the passage? Hope this reply is not confusing. thanks for the help....oh and this will now be the third time to pull these heads off :) Should ask questions first in the future and also not forget to put the T-stat seals on :)

swade28

Seaman

To sum it up, when i took the heads off their was sealant in the holes on the head and cylinder. Im assuming these holes are water passages and depending on which side the passage is on the other side is metal. It would be easier to apply the sealant to one or the other but seems as if it might be hard to make sure the sealant will line up correclty with the passage once the head is placed back on.????Thanks for all the help.

swade28

Seaman

Can anyone advise further on this? Thanks

Walker

Captain

Like Dhadley said, USE SPARINGLY. No bead of the stuff, just a thin, thin film. Put a dab on your finger and apply it just enough to barely see any. That will be enough.