Denso sparkplugs

tcreech

Seaman Apprentice
Any opinions on Denso sparkplugs?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />TC

D

DJ

Re: Denso sparkplugs

They're fine, just not in a Johnson or Evinrude.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outboard Non-repair

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

What are you going to use them in Matt? Since you posted in the J/Rude forum, I will assume a Johnny or Rude. If that is the case, use the correct plug recommended by (OMC) BRP. Usually a Champion for most models.

Yes they will be used in a Rude.

I have been reading up on my motor all day as I cant go outside due to the weather. I have found that Champion seems to be the only plug you should use on an OMC.

Thanks for your quick reply

Since I cant figure out how to edit my post they will be used in a 1963 Evinrude Speedifour 75hp.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Whatever you do, follow Ezeke's chart (which came from Johnson/Evinrude) and not Champion's (which I believe came from somewhere nasty)!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I asked about that chart at Boat Setup once and got a confirmatory email direct from Ken Cook. I agree with Paul Moir about its [edit] veracity.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

For what it's worth, I use American plugs in American outboards, NGKs in Japanese outboards. I suppose Densos are okay for the 4-stroke Evinrudes. But your motor came with Champions and that's what they were engineered with. Unless you're in a country where they are not so readily available. Then use what is available, as long as they're the appropriate plugs according to the available chart.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I bought my 1997 90 yamaha,they had Denso's in them. Never heard of them before.But they ran great in my Yammie.I changed them with NGK,no differance. I think the NGK Champion debate could be personal preferance.I worked for 2 rebuilders and one guy used only NGK in all engines including John Rude's.The other guy was champs in american engines Ngk in Japanese .