how to rebuild a starter

phatmanmike

Captain
hi guys and gals.<br />i have a prestolite mgd4113 12v outboards starter for my 1972 evinrude 50hp twin cylinder.<br /><br />it does not spin. at all. i mean it spins freely by hand and feels real solid, and the benix gear moves easily, but how do i rebuild it. do i just order the rebuild kit and swap old parts for new? <br />ive never done this before, so any input is good input. thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to rebuild a starter

Mike, A starter is just a strong DC Motor. Usually the windings fail. You need to check the armature and field windings to assure that they are not shorted or open. If they are good, then check the motor brushes. If the brushes are worn out or broken, rebuilding the starter yourself may be in order. A rebuild kit usually has new brushes and maybe a new armature bushing. If the windings are bad, likely you will need to get another starter.

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to rebuild a starter

phatmanmike<br /><br />If another starter is very expensive, there is usually generator & starter re-build companies around town.<br /><br />There is a company in Pensacola Florida that manufactures excellent replacement outboard starters. Their name escapes me at the moment, something like Arco??? They also have re-build kits. Did you check here with iboats?<br /><br />Do a search on the web and I bet you can find what you need, or get in touch with someone local.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)