72 125 rough ride

jtwood12

Cadet
I got a 72 125. When I go from Idle to full throttle it kind of hesitates, it goes smooth no slamming the transom. About half throttle it kinda sputters runs pretty rough. Also the last two times taking it out when I go to start it cold it tries to start in forward (like I have the wrong lower unit oil in, but I dont) but when I hit my electric choke it kicks it out of gear. I dont have any old info on this motor as I am the new owner of this and have had it out three times for a total of about ten hours. any thoughts would be great.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 125 rough ride

As the new owner of the engine JT...and not having any info, I would do a good going over of the engine including spark test and compression and pulling the carbs and overhauling them. The hesitation may be caused by the carbs being fouled. Also, don't forget to check the fuel lines. Replace any that have become hard over the years.<br /><br />The engine is electric shift and will start in forward. Once 12Volts is applied to the solenoids and the engine starts to run, it will go to neutral...providing the shift solenoids are OK.