1996 Johnson 225 Venom

B Tanner

Recruit
Just this year after the winter, the engine will not tach up to the normal 5800 - 6000 RPM's. I have run a can of OMC Engine Tuner through the engine and replaced spark plugs with no favorable results. The commpression is around 100 psi on all six cylinders. Engine also has problems idling and the power to sometimes load on trailer. I was thinking that maybe it's time to have the carbs rebuildt. Help!!! :confused:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 225 Venom

Hi tanner<br /><br />Any chance you may have picked up some water in the tank over the winter? A carb cleaning and rebuild surley wouldn't hurt....

B Tanner

Recruit

If so, it would have had to be from condensation. Is there any way to confirm one way or the other? Is there any additive that will search and destroy any water if present?<br /><br />Thanks for the quick reply!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Very typical Springtime scenario. The carbs have probably gummed up. Continuing to run it may result in severe damage. If a cylinder (or 2 or 6) isn't getting fuel, it isn't getting oil either.<br /><br />And if it scuffs a piston I'll bet someone will tell you "The VRO failed". Even though your motor doesnt have a VRO and the oil injection is not at fault anyway.