Gear selection problem

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
I have problem with my outboard ( gear selection morse cable )the cable needs replacing and i am looking for a part number all i can make out on the old cable is that its 9 foot long i am using it on a Fletcher arrow speed boat ! My outboard Model : RXEL -15C Serial : C520318 (1967)<br /><br />I have tried to select the gears on the outboard but seemed very stiff ( just moving it back and forth with the engine off ) ( is this possible to check they working with your hands or will it only work with the cable ? Does the end just push on to the linkage as i tried the old cable and it pushed in ok but there was nothing to hold it in place ( clip etc )<br /><br />Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Gear selection problem

All you need is a pre-'79 OMC shift cable the same length as the one you have. There's a couple manufacturers (uflex, teleflex-morse, or a factory cable from a Johnson or Evinrude dealer). Any ship's chandlery should be able to fix you up with one, as well as any dealer.<br /> If the control is stiff with engine disconnected, it's likely the cable itself that is at fault. You can open up the control and make sure it's not the lever's pivot that's jammed but that is really not very likely.<br />The propeller or flywheel needs to be turned slightly while shifting the engine in order for it to engage properly. Also, the throttle needs to be low enough or neutral and reverse will be locked out. The lever on the side of the outboard should move relatively easily. <br /><br />I saw a recommendation for seamarknunn.co.uk a while back for J/E parts. I see they have Uflex cables. Looks like decent prices too. You would need a uflex C4 style cable. It's equivalent to a Teleflex 400 series cable.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

chandlery?? Now there's a word that never quite made it to the New World.<br /><br />Teleflex<br />Johnson®/Evinrude® pre-1979 CC170XX (400 type) where xx is the length, i.e. 10ft, 12ft, etc.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It made it to this new world. :D :p <br />And colour is spelt with a "U" don'tchaknow? :)