1970 115 won't shut off

tcreech

Seaman Apprentice
First it wouldn't start.<br />I found some bad wiring on rectifier, which, I think, caused pulse pack to go. I replaced both, along with coil. Starts right up now, but won't shut off. It did this once before, but choked motor to kill it and cycled switch a few times (Motor hadn't been run in a while, so I thought it might just be dirty contacts). Problem never recurred....Until now.<br /><br />Blocking diode?<br /><br />If so, could this have been the cause of my pulse pack's demise? I hope I didn't fry this new one!<br /><br />Also, new rectifier has 1 red and 2 yellow wires, but old one had 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 yellow/gray.<br />I read somewhere that it didn't matter which yellow went where, is this right?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />TC

Walker

Captain
Re: 1970 115 won't shut off

Can't really help you with the motor not shutting off. It could be a number of things from the key switch to the kill wire on the pack. You'll have to trouble shoot the whole kill circuit. The two yellow wires can go in either way.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The key switch shorts the black/yellow wire to ground to kill the spark and stop the engine. Check the "m" terminals on the switch, one should have the black/yellow kill circuit wire on it and one should have a black ground wire on it.<br />If the switch is good check the connection at the power pack and the red plug for the wiring harness.

tcreech

Seaman Apprentice

No black/yellow kill wire on this model. Motor must have 12v to power pack to run. Turning off key, there should be no power to pack, BUT, voltage is still supplied to shift solenoids from alternator as long as flywheel is turning(hydro-electric shift) to prevent engine from shifting into forward gear (default no power scenario). This can then bleed to ignition cicuit and prevent motor from shutting down if blocking diode is shorted.<br />That's how I interpret it, anyway...<br /><br />I checked blocking diode, it was bad (short).<br />New one on it's way, I'll keep ya posted.<br /><br />TC

tcreech

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the blocking diode (in control box).<br />VOILA!<br />Now she starts AND shuts off!<br /><br />TC

gamiller31

Cadet

Where did you get the diode from, and how much. I have found them, but $60 seems kinda high to me.