Quality of new Johnson outboards

tygh

Cadet
How do the new Johnson outboards stack up against the competition? Found a 2003 15hp, but am unfamiliar with their reputation these days.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quality of new Johnson outboards

The 2 strokes are a Bombardier product and the 4 strokes are built by Suzuki. Personaly I have not heard anything bad about any of the smaller motors built at either factory.<br /><br />Good luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Bombardier-built Johnsons are as good as the OMC-built ever were.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sloopy

Commander

I 2nd J.B<br /><br />They are still the best.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought me a brand spanking new Johnson 2 stroke 8 horse a few months back. I've read and heard nothing but good things about this new Bombardier made product. Runs great! Looks perdy too! Don't think you can go wrong if the price fits your budget. Good luck!

tailfin10

Cadet

Tygh,<br /> I bought a new 9.9 in Feburary and have ran it<br />almost every weekend since with no problems yet. I have owned some other small Johnson's in the past and this motor looks almost identical under<br />the cowling and on the leg. They have replaced a few of the parts that were metal with composite <br />materials. A few "made in Mexico" stickers on small components. I decided to go two stroke to save weight and was comfortable with the old technology since I like to try and fix my small stuff myself. I think I may try to add some more insulation under the cowl (she's pretty loud )<br />I don't think she's the fastest or most quiet<br />or most fuel efficient model available, but I<br />believe she'll take me to the fishin'hole and back without a lot of fuss or attention.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Tygh<br />In the eighties and early 90's OMC was the largest maker of outboards and by the 2000's they were sold pennies on the dollar to Bombardier. It has been said Bombardier went to the production lines and trashed new parts that were sub-par awaiting installion on new outbaords. These parts were quickly destroyed. I am confident that Bombardier (even if it is a Canadian Company) will build a quility product. It is a shame an American Company like OMC would be ran into the ground,

D

DJ

I think they are a fine. Everyone I talk to, in the biz, praises the new quality standards. They're back to the glory days of being the best.<br /><br />One problem is that a lot of dealers are still pretty angry about the whole bankruptcy/Ficht mess and are punishing Bombardier for it. Bombardier also has not let just any old J & E dealer back into distributing their products. They want commitments from the dealers, ie: training, parts stocking levels, etc. <br /><br />When pressed, those dealers will tell you that initial quality on foreign stuff is good, but factory support is a joke, in many cases. They say that the Bombardier factory is tough, but fair. They really want to know if their products fail.<br /><br />I relate Bomabardiers quality to my experience with PWC's. My family owns three late model types. One Yamaha, one Bombardier (Sea Doo) and one Kawasaki. The only one that will run for a week straight is the Sea Doo. The same sentiment applies to other families on our cove of the lake.