adjusting shift rod

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,<br /> I've just spent all weekend putting a different LU on a 85ESL73M. Here's the weird part, when we had it on land with ears, it would idle, spin one way when the throttle was pushed forward, and the other way when the throttle was pulled back. We cheered and launched it at the local slip. Once in the water, we had no reverse. We tried to putt-putt back to our dock and lost forward. My brother was able to remove the bellcrank and limp us to dock. Something changed from when we were testing it on land, but we don't have a clue.<br /><br /> In trying to make adjustments, the shifter suddenly lost all resistance or ability to shift. After taking the remote control apart, we discovered that the shift cable had come out of the trunion that was attached to the shift lever (which I had replaced at the end of last season.) We put it back in with a bit hanging out of the front (past the Allen screw.) After this, we could adjust the cable/shift rod connector to get either forward or reverse, but not both. We removed the LU and compared rod lengths with the old one (because we thought that one rod may be longer than the other. <br /><br /> My questions are: 1) Is it possible in any way that the cabling issue (becoming disconnected and possible reconnected incorrectly) had something to do with only being able to get one gear at a time, and when you insert a cable into a trunion, are you supposed to pull out the slack or do anything special? 2) What is supposed to be the position of the shift rod connector? If it's screwed too high on the shift rod, the shift rod lever to the bellcrank will be too far apart to connect the linkage. 3) Why can't we get both gears in the water like we did on land with the ears? 4) Would it be possible to fix this by loosening the cable from the remote control trunion, or is it vital that the connector on top of the shift rod be at some precise measurement?<br />Thanks in advance,<br /> Frank <br /><br /> One good thing that came from this is that when we pulled the replacement LU off to examine the shift rod length, we discovered that the O-ring under the shift rod was leaking and letting water into the oil, so we were able to repair that before it did any damage.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: adjusting shift rod

Frank...first let's ask from what engine did you get the replacement lower unit from?<br /><br />Did you try and disconnect the shift cable and shift manually?<br /><br />When you put the cable core through the casing guide and anchor trunion, you should see the core appear in the hole just forward of the anchor trunion. Then tighten the set screws down onto the cable core.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ,<br /> I bought the LU off of E-bay after posing tons of questions to this site and being assured that it was the right one. We've had the shift rod connector twisted all over the place. I suspect that this is our problem. When we were still on land, just after we put the LU on, we were able to hit both gears. Afterwards, it was either forward or reverse but not both. This leads me to believe that it's an adjustment issue. The bottom end is exacly the same as the old one. At last look, the connector was screwed up so far that trying to move the shift rod up using the bellcrank would have the other end of the bellcrank hitting the bottom of the block. Any assistance on how to adjust the shift rod connector would be gratefully appreciated.<br />Frank

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Im not an expert on the model numbers, ID's, and the info. they contain.<br /><br /> If you tell me , if its a short , standard, or long shaft model.<br /><br /> I'll post the shift rod length for you.<br /><br /> KYHunter

Walker

Captain

Shift rod length shouldn't affect both forwrd and reverse. I suspect that you need a new cable.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your 1973 motor uses a hydraulically-assisted mechanical shifting gearcase that was only used from '73 to '77.<br /><br />the shift rod is straight and threaded at the top where a round machined adapter is screwed on. Inside the adapter hole should be a plastic bushing.<br /><br />the shifting linkage on the motor should be a bell-crank with a 5/8" hex bolt as the pivot.<br /><br />If your gearcase is not set up this way, then you either have the wrong gearcase or the motor is not a '73 to '77.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

Walker,<br /> At the end of last season, I had to replace the shift lever in the remote control. At that time, I still had a frozen bottom end on the engine so I may have done something incorrectly when I reconnected the shift cable (too much slack in the cable, not enough slack.) When I move the throttle on the remote control, I can see the linkage on the engine moving both ways. <br /> Since I've never adjusted the linkage, I was thinking that I just may have been lacking the necessary finesse.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

KYHunter2,<br /> I have the Seloc and the original Johnson manual. I've seen them mention shift rod length for different engines and rod types. I think that at the time I thought they were talking about over-all length, not rod length up to the shift rod connector. I disassembled the old LU and the shift rod lengths are the same. Does it make any difference whether the connector faces flat side forward or backwards? Because if it does, doesn't that means that your adjustement can only be changed by a full turn at a time? The connector, when it's flat side forward, is pretty tight to the motor. Also, the LU shifts easily enough using the cables but pushing and pulling it by hand, while it can be done, is a bit of a bear. Does this sound right?<br />Thank you,

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

Many thanks to all who have commented. I'm thinking that my problem stems from not having the shift rod connector at the correct height and the shift cable not being adjusted properly. I'm going to close this thread and open a new one asking for instructions on these operations. This site is truly a blessing for any boat owner. Thanks again.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Frank....the manual says to thread the shift connector on till it's seated then back off two or more turns until the offset is facing forward.<br /><br />There is no specific height given so any adjustment will be with the cable trunion. When the gear case is in neutral, note the amount of free play the shift lever (the lever the shift cable attaches to) and adjust the trunion so the cable fits to the shift levers mid free play.

fmanerchia

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ,<br /> I won't be able to get with the boat until next weekend but thanks for the great advice.