Charging system 83 Evinrude

ssrmr2

Cadet
I have an 83 Evinrude with power tilt and trim. E90TLCTE. I have been looking around for the answer why the charging system is not charging. I have checked the following:<br /><br />continuity and resistance for the stator: there is good continuity between the ylw and the ylw/gry wire. and the resistance between the two wires is .7 ohms. From what I have read the .7 ohms is about correct for the 10 amp stator that i have. there are no shorts, or grounding in the stator<br /><br />retectifier: its messed up but have questions. There is continuity between all the wires like there should be, however there is low resistance between all the wires. I think i checked resistance to the body of the rectifier but forget, i will have to check it again. But I do think that this is one hopefully the only problem.<br /><br />Now, I have read that a majority of the rectifiers have a built in voltage regulator. My motor does have a voltage regulator, how do i check it to make sure that everything is ok. If anyone has a few specs that they can shoot my way that would be great.<br /><br />I am thinking that its just the rectifier, i have no tach either. Again from what i have read no tach and charging of the main battery, means the rectifier. its on order. <br /><br />any insight would be great. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />steve

D

DJ

Re: Charging system 83 Evinrude

If you have no tach, you can just about bet it is the rectifier causing the trouble.<br /><br />Why do you think your engine has a voltage regulator? I had a 1983 90, just as yours. It did not have a regulator. It also cooked the rectifier once.

ssrmr2

Cadet

DJ,<br /><br />your old 83 have power tilt and trim? I was going off of the ishopmarine.com page. hmmm i thought i pin pointed the voltage regultor. I will check again this week.<br /><br />thanks

D

DJ

SSR,<br /><br />Yes it did. Same Mod # as yours.

ssrmr2

Cadet

ok thanks. I am going to install a new rect. when it arrives. I will have to keep an eye on the voltage while running.<br /><br /><br />t