Mounting 6HP evinrude auxiliary to 16 ft alumacraft

derrhon

Cadet
I have a 6 HP evinrude (1973) I want to mount as a trolling motor. I am looking at mounting bracket OMC - max 15 HP. I am mounting to the back of the boat (of course), to the left (when looking from the back) of the main motor - 35 HP evinrude (1980). The back of the boat has the boards that run all the way along the inside and outside top rim of the back of the boat. I was thinking of drilling thourgh both boards and the boat and using big washers on the inside. My questions relate to:<br /><br />1) the best way to mount it<br /><br />2) the height at which to mount, i.e. how far should the motor be in the water when it is in the down position<br /><br />3) anything else I should be aware of<br /><br />I plan on buying one of the steering brackes from cabelas to connect the two motors.<br /><br />Note: these questions may see easy, but this is my first boat. :confused: <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Derrick

derrhon

Cadet
Re: Mounting 6HP evinrude auxiliary to 16 ft alumacraft

Any suggestion on this?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mounting 6HP evinrude auxiliary to 16 ft alumacraft

Your plan sounds good. You might want to position a metal support plate on the inside of the transon, depending on the strength of your boat. Make it as solid as you can.<br /><br />As far as height, you are going to have to figure that out. Have a friend help you with this.<br /><br />Rather than holding the heavy motor while determining the position, cut a stick or peice of cardboard, the length of your motor shaft. (from the top of the mounting bracket to the cavitation plate,- Click to see picture <br /><br />Tape this stick onto the OMC bracket so it hangs where the motor will eventually be.<br /><br />Put the mounting bracket in the lowered position. Have friend hold the bracket against the back of the boat. <br /><br />As with any motor, you need to get the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull, and you need to make sur the water pickup holes will be well below the water line. Remember, your boat will rock and tilt from side to side, which could lift the pickup holes out of the water, so mounting a little lower is a good idea. You can always raise the motor with the bracket to one of the middle positions, but you won't be able to lower it once the bracket is mounted.<br />Mark the position, use a pencil for initial markings.<br /><br />Now check and double check the location for any possible obstructions, make sure the motors will not hit each other, that there are no braces inside the boat where you plan to drill the holes. Also make sure you will be able to fully operate the motor.<br /><br />When you are sure of position, and have triple checked everything, mark the hole location with a marker.<br /><br />Make sure you use a marine sealer in the bolt holes, something like BoatLife caulk, or 3M 4200 or 5200 sealer. They are a bit expensive, but worth it.<br /><br />Good Luck.